Skip to Content
Subway Bus
PBSG 0918 0079 1920X680

Guidance for new bus operators

Operating buses is highly regulated. The guides and links below provide information on how to meet these regulations.

PSV Operator’s Licence
In order to operate buses, a PSV Operator’s Licence is required. Applications must be made to the Traffic Commissioner through the Driver and Standards Agency (DVSA). Application forms and a guide to PSV operator licensing can be found on the GOV.UK website.

CPC Requirements
Applicants for a restricted PSV Operator’s licence do not need to hold a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). However, applicants for a Standard National or Standard International licence do need to hold a CPC qualification or employ a suitably qualified transport manager.

Courses for the CPC are run by several bodies, including the Freight Transport Association (FTA).

CPC courses and more advanced courses in transport and logistics management are also available from the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport. Details of courses can be found on the Institute’s website under Professional Development and Training.

Some further education colleges also offer courses. It is recommended that you check with your local college.

Vehicle maintenance
DVSA guides on vehicle maintenance.

Manuals and guides relating to vehicle testing
 are also available from DVSA. The guides are generally free but the manuals are chargeable.

Drivers’ hours and tachographs
Information on drivers’ hours and tachographs from the GOV.UK website.

Driver CPCs
You can find full details of Driver CPCs on the GOV.UK website.

Running a bus service
Bus operators who are interested in running a local bus service can find information on the GOV.UK website.

This page provides links to the various forms needed.

Bus Information Standards

Details about the required standards for bus information can be found here.