What is a Travel Plan?
A Travel Plan is a package of measures and policies developed by an employer to encourage their staff to travel to work using sustainable modes of transport; walking, cycling, public transport or car sharing. A Travel Plan can help reduce an organisation’s carbon footprint and result in financial savings for both the organisation and the employee.
A Travel Plan can help:
- to reduce business car mileage expenses;
- to reduce the demand for car parking which has the potential to reduce car park management and maintenance costs;
- to reduce fleet management costs; and
- staff to reduce their commuting costs.
Travel Plan measures which promote active and sustainable travel can help improve:
- staff morale;
- staff health; and
- staff motivation.
A travel plan can help:
- to reduce an organisation’s carbon footprint;
- to raise an organisation’s profile as a caring and considerate employer;
- to reduce congestion and provide other environmental benefits for the local community;
- to improve site access for employees, visitors and deliveries;
- to fulfill planning consent recommendations and targets;
- staff recruitment and retention; and
- to increase productivity due to a healthier workforce.
Travelknowhow is an unique online resource which offers organisations across Scotland easy access to a wide variety of travel planning solutions all in one place including advice, guidance and downloadable resources to aid with the implementation of travel planning measures.