NHS Scotland recommends that adults should aim to be active daily. There are recommended guidelines for your age at www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/keeping-active/guidelines
Active travel has many health benefits including:
- Reduces risk of a range of diseases including coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Helps maintain and strengthen joints and bones
- Improves your general mood and self-esteem
- Reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety
SPT is working with our partner councils to promote and encourage active travel across the SPT area. This includes investment in improved pedestrian links to public transport and in the regional and national cycle network.
Walking has many health benefits. As well as walking at the weekends and in your free time, why not walk more while you are at work?
Here are some suggestions if you want to walk a bit more during the working day:
- If you commute by bus, walk to the next bus stop rather than to the nearest one
- If you commute by train and live near the station instead of driving to the station walk once or twice a week
- If you commute by car, park the car a little further away from the work place and walk
- Go for a short walk at lunchtime
- Walk to meetings
The SPT Capital Funding Program assists our council partners to develop and improve national and local path networks, helping to create safe and accessible walking routes throughout the SPT area.
SPT funding has been used to:
- Improve walking routes to public transport
- Provide signage and improve path surfaces
- Develop and widen local paths
- Create new paths to link local communities
Bike parking facilities
Bike parking is provided free of charge at various SPT Subway and Bus stations throughout Strathclyde.
- SPT Journeyshare – Matches you up with others going the same route, so you can share your bike journey
- Cycle Routes UK – A great site for finding Cycle routes, mountain bike trails and single track that has been tried and tested
- Map My Ride – Search for cycling routes in your area
- Cycling Scotland – Cycling Scotland is the national cycle promotion organisation for Scotland
- Sustrans – A leading UK charity enabling people to travel by foot, bike or public transport
- The Bike Station – Scotland’s largest bicycle recycling organisation