SPT wins at Scottish Transport Awards.
SPT were big winners of the Scottish Transport Awards last night (Thursday 22 June), picking up a hat-trick of awards.
SPT picked up Best Bus Service for our work on keeping communities connected; Excellence in Travel Information & Marketing for delivering a Step-Change in Bus Passenger Information and Standards; and Chief Executive Valerie Davidson collected an individual award for her Outstanding Contribution to Transport.
The Scottish Transport Awards are an opportunity to bring together the transport community to recognise and celebrate industry achievements across the transport network in Scotland.
The event was attended by Minister for Transport Fiona Hyslop who gave the keynote address at the 20th anniversary of the Scottish Transport Awards. She welcomed a sell-out audience of 425 transport industry professionals to celebrate the people and organisations that make a real difference to transport across Scotland.
The Minister said: “It was a tremendous honour to speak at tonight’s awards ceremony and recognise the achievements of some previously unsung heroes in our transport sector.
“In my first full week as Transport Minister I was keen to attend this event and pay tribute to our bus drivers, ticket collectors, planners and people who keep the network running, even in the most challenging conditions, which we sometimes take for granted.”
Speaking after the event Valerie Davidson said:
“This is a tremendous achievement for SPT and due entirely to the real teamwork that prevails throughout the organisation. I am very grateful to everyone who works so hard to deliver good public transport to communities across the west of Scotland. We will continue to look at ways to improve services make it a more attractive option and encourage more people to use it as their preferred mode of transport.”
Full list of winners and commendations
- Best Bus Service Winner: Strathclyde Partnership for Transport: Keeping Communities Connected
- Most Effective Road Safety, Traffic Management & Enforcement (sponsored by First Group) Winner: Glasgow City Council: Ultra Smart Cycle System (USCS)
- Best Practice in Travel to School and Work Schemes Winner: Cycling Scotland: Active Travel Dundee (Schools) Bikeability Scotland cycle training supported by Cycling Scotland
- Excellence in Walking, Public Realm, Cycling Winner: Aberdeenshire Council: The Aberdeenshire Bothy Commend: Cycling Scotland: Increasing access to active travel through Social Housing Partnership Fund
- Contribution to Sustainable Transport (sponsored by Addleshaw Goddard) Winner: WSP and Highland Spring Group: Blackford Rail Freight Facility
- Excellence in Technology and Innovation Winner: Lothian Buses: LB Roads Commend: The Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership (HITRANS): Request to Stop
- Transport Team/ Partnership of the Year (sponsored by Clearview) Winner: Transport Scotland: The Death of Her Majesty the Queen, the funeral cortege from Balmoral to Edinburgh
- Excellence in Travel Information and Marketing Winner: Strathclyde Partnership for Transport: Delivering a Step-Change in Bus Passenger Information and Standards Commend: Scottish Citylink Coaches Ltd: Young Persons Campaign
- Frontline Employee of the Year (sponsored by Bam Nuttall) Winner: Lindsey Reid, Transform Scotland Commend: Glenn Taylor, McGills; Craig Ross, Stagecoach East; Brian Stewart, Stagecoach West; Jack Austin, Hugh McLelland & Lorna Jones, Stagecoach West
- Most Innovative Transport Project of the Year (Sponsored by Avanti) Winner: The Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership (HITRANS): Go-Hi MaaS Pilot Project
- Scottish Airport of the Year Winner: AGS Airports: Glasgow Airport
- Rail Supplier of the Year Winner: Story Contracting Commend: AmcoGiffen: Anderston Tunnel Blockade
- Public Transport Operator of the Year Winner: Edinburgh Trams Commend: McGills
- Excellence in Transport Accessibility Winner: Lothian Buses
- Excellence in Transport Design Winner: ScotRail: Highland Explorer: Unlocking active travel on the West Highland Line
- Outstanding contribution to Transport Valerie Davidson
- Lifetime contribution to Transport Neil Johnstone