Travelcards: Subway Smartcard
We’ve replaced paper tickets with a Smartcard which allows Subway tickets to be stored and read electronically. Smartcards are easy to use and offer great value. The Subway Smartcard is FREE and unique to you once you register.
- Flexible – store pay as you go credit to use when you need and you’ll be given the best Subway travel deal of the day.
- Reusable – keep topping up with credit and you can use your card as many times as you like.
- Convenient – Smartcard season tickets can be renewed at any Subway Station or Subway ticket machine whenever you want.
- Quicker – with fewer queues in stations, you will be able to zip round the Subway faster than ever.
- Safer – if you lose your registered card, your details (and any remaining value) can be transferred on to a new one.
- Rewards – once registered you can join The Upper Circle, our exclusive rewards scheme for Smartcard holders.
How it works
1. Apply for your Smartcard
Just fill in the online registration form and don’t forget to upload a passport sized photo. Your new card will be posted to you within 10 working days.
As soon as you receive your card, you can begin using it. To put money on to your card and access any of our great range of multi-trip ticket products, just take your card to your nearest Subway Station.
2. Top up credit
Each station has a ticket machine which will enable you to load up travel on to your card.
Season tickets will start whenever you choose (up to a maximum of 28 days) and you can top up credit in Subway stations at ticket machines or ticket offices. Our staff are also on hand to help.
3. Tap the orange sensor at a smart gate
When using your card for the first time to travel on the Subway, place it on the orange card reader panel at station entrance gates. Wait until the light turns to green and the gate will open automatically. You will need to follow the same process to exit a station.
Enjoy your journey!
Need more help?
Telephone: 0845 271 0944
Office hours: Monday to Friday 08:30 – 16:45
Please note: calls to 0845 numbers will be charged at 2p per min (inc VAT) plus your telecoms providers access charge.