Period covering 1 April 2010 to 31 March 2011
The Public Services Reform (Scotland) Act 2010 requires SPT to publish an efficiency statement after the end of each financial year. This statement identifies the steps taken by SPT during that financial year:
- to promote and increase sustainable growth through the exercise of its functions; and
- to improve efficiency, effectiveness and economy in the exercise of its functions.
The relevant efficiency statement for SPT for the year ending 31 March 2011 is set out below.
The Act also requires SPT to provide details on the current level of shared services provided by the public body. During the year SPT has:
- in partnership with Glasgow City Council Social Work department, delivered savings of over 40% on voluntary club transport costs through improved scheduling using SPT’s travel dispatch centre;
- delivered on behalf of 11 local authorities school transport planning, delivery and monitoring of services;
- delivered the management and maintenance of bus stops and shelters; and
- managed and monitored the Strathclyde Concession Scheme on behalf of 12 local authorities.
Statement of Efficiency
|Theme||Description of efficiency measure identified to be delivered||Anticipated saving||Impact on service delivery and performance / other information|
|Procurement||Utilisation of national electricity contract and capture of benefits from existing usage initiatives.||£357,000||Obtain savings from national electricity contract and usage initiatives.|
|Procurement||Various efficiency savings on external communications contracts.||£118,000||Obtain savings from review of external communications contracts.|
|Procurement||Various efficiency savings on external support contracts.||£80,000||Obtain efficiencies from review of IT support contracts.|
|Workforce Planning||Revise staffing levels.||£443,000||Obtain staff savings from management efficiencies in several departments.|
|Workforce Planning||Savings accruing from implementation of approved Policy & Strategy, Projects and Property structure.||£365,000||Obtain staff savings from implementation of revised, approved Policy & Strategy, Projects and Property structure and other management efficiencies.|
|Workforce Planning||Savings accruing from implementation of approved Communications structure.||£196,000||Obtain staff savings from implementation of revised, approved Communications structure and other management efficiencies.|
|Asset Management||Various efficiency savings on maintenance processes.||£214,000||Various efficiency savings on maintenance processes.|
|Streamlining Bureaucracy||Savings accruing from implementation of approved HR structure.||£128,000||Obtain staff savings from implementation of revised, approved HR structure and other management efficiencies.|
|Shared Services||Various efficiency savings in support of agency contracts.||£68,000||Obtain staff savings from management efficiencies.|
|Other||Reduce learning & development budget in line with staffing numbers and operational needs.||£50,000||Obtain efficiencies from revised assessment of learning & development needs.|