You may have noticed changes in station at Buchanan Street as SPT has begun work to deliver another modernised city-centre Subway.
The works at Buchanan Street Subway will be to the same exacting quality standards as the previous five stations – Hillhead, Kelvinhall, Partick, Ibrox and St Enoch – to ensure a bright, clean, passenger friendly environment is created.
Buchanan Partnership’s plans to extend the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre includes building over the SPT subway structure that links the subway with a moving walkway to Queen street station. To allow this extension to take place the Dundas Street entrance to the subway will be closed from Monday 4 May.
Customers are asked to use the main entrances to the station on Buchanan Street and additional staff will be on hand to assist.
SPT Chief Executive Gordon Maclennan said:
“A key consideration with all the building work we are undertaking is to keep disruption to a minimum for our customers and maintain services. We will ensure passengers are kept up-to-date using signage in stations, on our website and through our popular Subway travel twitter account @GLASubwayTravel. Additional staff will also be on hand to help.
“We have also worked with the Buchanan Galleries developer to ensure programming of works is undertaken to avoid a prolonged impact on Subway passengers. The developer will be building above our moving walkway and will refurbish the existing structure and install new travelators to the same standard as the main station improvements. We will keep our passengers informed as the works progress.”
Improvements to be delivered at Buchanan Street include:
- A new southern canopy (matching the existing northern canopy) to improve weather protection and station conditions for customers
- A new modern station office;
- replacement of all materials on floors, walls and ceilings;
- new way finding, information and signage for passengers;
- enhancements under the Equalities Act including hearing loops, tactile maps, tactile paving and colour contrast flooring;
- brighter, more welcoming energy efficient lighting;
The main Subway station works are due to be completed in early 2016 with the Dundas street entrance re-opened in summer 2016.